Wednesday 14 January 2015

Red Hook - Gresham Lane | 88 Creek Street Brisbane QLD 4000


Lobster, lobster, lobster - as soon as I heard Red Hook had Lobster Roll, I rushed over. The New York inspired street food cafe offers a variety of options ranging from burgers to burritos, but I had my eye set on that Lobster Roll.


Sadly, the Lobster Roll ($20) failed to meet my expectations. Drenched in mayo, it was difficult to taste the sweetness of the lobster. Although I could not taste the lobster, the flesh was quite firm which indicates that it was relatively fresh. The mayo, by itself, was actually quite tasty - infused with rich red onion flavours and fresh crunchy celery, it balanced the dryness of the brioche roll surpisingly well. Brioche rolls are supposed to be light and puffy, but mine was slightly dry.


The Kung Fu Duck Tacos ($16) was the highlight of the day. Filled with lavish servings of peking duck, fresh redcabbage/wombak/coriander and coated with generous dollops of peanut & hoison dressing, it was actually quite satisfying. To top it off, the tacos were beautifully presented and served in a cute little taco truck. However, I do find the hefty price tag a little disheartening, especially when Ichiban Yakitori next door offers a similarly exciting peking duck slider bun at a more reasonable price ($5) and Salsas at Myer Centre offers Tacos for $2 on Tuesdays.


Verdict:
American style inspired street food seems to be the next big thing and Red Hook is obviously geared towards the upmarket customers. While the food was relatively enjoyable, I'm not sure if I can justify the costs of paying $16/$20 for takeaway style street food when there are cheaper alternatives available. My wallet felt significantly lighter after my trip to Red Hook :(




Red Hook on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

>