Monday 13 July 2015

Afanti Uyghur - 95 Mains Road, Sunnybank QLD 4109

Having never tried Uyghur cuisine, I was quite eager to try Afanti Uyghur.


A small restaurant with lots of clean black tables.

Based on my very limited knowledge on Uyghur cuisine, Uighurs are big on mutton, chicken, goose, noodles with lots and lots of spices including cumin seeds, red pepper flakes, and pepper.

Seems like I might be right - Afanti Ughur offers a variety of traditional meat dishes including Roasted Lamb ($450), Roasted Lamb Shoulder/Leg ($70-$120), Big Plate Chicken Dish ($35) and more.  

Entree
Traditional Dishes


 
 
 




Beef/Chicken Dishes


Lamb Dishes





What better way to start our meal than with a Traditional Ayran Drink with Yoghurt & Ice ($7)? Apparently it improves digestion and removes excess gases while improving intestinal microflora. Not to mention it's a refreshing drink which cools off your blistering pallet - definitely comes in handy when you're eating spicy Uyghur food!
 
Basically tastes like a Lassi with salt ($7).

Being new to the cuisine, I had absolutely no idea what to order (I can't believe I just admitted that lol). So I just ordered what everyone else around me ordered.
 
Coated with chilli and cumin, the Uyghur Style Lamb Skewers ($15) was excitingly spicy but I would have preferred it to have more smoky charcoal flavours.
 
Uyghur Lamb Skewers ($15) 
 
Next came the Pan Grilled Meat Pies ($14.90). Juicy, flavourful mince sandwiched between deliciously pan-fried spring-onion-like pancakes (but without the spring onion). I found it slightly oily, but the pancakes were still quite crispy.
 
Pan Grilled Meat Pies ($14.9)
 
Everyone - yes seriously everyone - ordered the Tohogoshi Narin (Large $35; Small $25.90), aka the Big Plate Chicken Dish. True to its name, the dish was H-U-G-E (well we ordered a large), and generously filled with tender stir fried chicken, fluffy potatoes with chilli and garlic sauce. I especially loved the fresh hand made flat noodles which soaked up that addictive hot 'n' spicy sauce.
 
Large plate of Big Plate Chicken -
the small big plate just wasn't big enough for me haha :P
 
Verdict
I am not an expert on Uyghur cuisine, but I enjoyed the food.
 
Click to add a blog post for Afanti Uyghur Restaurant on Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment

>