Saturday 21 February 2015

The Imperial Seafood Restaurant - Riverside Centre | 123 Eagle Street Brisbane QLD 4000

With a spectacular 360 degree view of the Brisbane River, The Imperial Seafood Restaurant would have been a wonderful place to spend Chinese New Year. Unfortunately, not for those with Groupons. Shoved in a lonely dark corner of the bar with absolutely no views (despite the restaurant being completely empty), I felt like a second-class citizen. Those who came after us were led to the main dining hall with spectacular views of the river.

Spectacular views of the Brisbane River which I did not get

Fair enough, I only paid $49 for an 8 "course" meal for 4 people and I came for the food not the views anyway (but it would have been a nice bonus).

In general, traditional favourites like Pork Ribs with Black Bean Sauce, Steamed BBQ Pork Buns, Salt & Pepper Calamari, Egg Yolk Buns, Chicken Feet with Black Bean Sauce, and Steamed BBQ Pork Buns were quite tasty. Unfortunately it was served lukewarm bordering cold which made it difficult for me to enjoy the taste. I don't know about you, but I prefer my Dim Sims to be freshly steamed and not microwaved.

Dim Sims Galore

The Steamed Pork and Prawn Dim Sim was delicious but it wasn't tender and was slightly chewy. Likewise, I wasn't too impressed with the Vegetable Spring Rolls and the Steamed Prawn Dumplings either as the pastry was quite thick and hard. The Mango Puddings had a rich mango flavour but I wish it was just a little creamier.

The Pan Fried Pork Dumplings was also served cold (and oily).

Pan Fried Dumplings, with an oily, soggy glow

Only the Rice was served steaming hot, but it came with an interesting addition - a dead fly.

Steaming Hot Rice
 
Verdict
To be honest, most of the Dim Sims were actually quite tasty, but I was feeling quite hungry after my 8 course meal (i.e. 1 course = 1 Dim Sim) . I suspect that I would have a better experience if I paid full price - at least I would have a nice view and my Dim Sims would probably be steaming hot.
 
Dim Sims are a bit pricier than other Yum Cha restaurants
 


The Imperial Seafood Restaurant on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

  1. Seafood restaurant always been the attraction for the people, they often visit there to have some yummy seafood with different cuisine. Being a seafood restaurant you are serving a variety of yummy seafood. That is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't try the seafood before, but thanks for the comment :) - maybe I will try and see how it goes

      Delete
  2. Great reviews regarding this Imperial Seafood Restaurant. Truly this is a perfect place to celebrate Chinese New Year. I have been there several times and always had a nice experience. I think you should visit the Hollywood venues too if you want to try out yummy Chinese cuisines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Long john silver sea food is yummy ..

    ReplyDelete

>