Saturday 7 February 2015

Chur Burger - 20 Constance Street, Fortitude Valley QLD 4006

Ran by two-hatted chef Warren Turnbull whose award winning restaurant burnt down, Chur Burger became an instant hit when it first opened in Sydney. This highly acclaimed burger joint has finally decided to grace us with its presence - will it become the next biggest craze in Brisbane? Well, we're about to find out.

Who would have guessed that beside this gangster graffitied alleyway lies one of the most famous burger joints in Sydney?

Featuring funky graffiti and a cool laid back dining area

I never knew you can use Chur in so many different ways

Chur Burger offers a diverse menu: breakfast, mains (mainly burgers), and drinks.

Breakfast
Drinks
Mainly Burgers

You can also get salads and free range chicken with crispy egg noodles, but there's no way I'm going to eat that at one of the most famous burger joints around here.

So, to start off, I ordered their Signature Burger ($13), which (according to the menu) comes with crispy pork belly, chilli caramel, fresh slaw and aioli. Thick, tender slices of pork belly perfectly caramelised with a sweet fishy soy sauce marinade, sandwiched between a glazed croissant-like brioche bun. I loved the scrumptious Asian-inspired flavours, but the massive chunk of fat on the belly turned me off *shudders*.

Signature Burger ($13)
I'm not sure how the belly was crispy because it really wasn't.
It tasted great - but I am concerned about my cholesterol ... *shudders*

My Fellow Food Extinguisher got the My Big Phat Greek Burger ($16) which featured a Lamb Pattie and Deep Fried Goats Cheese. The Lamb Pattie was cooked perfectly medium rare, but it was dry and bland. But for the sharp distinct flavours from the goat cheese, the tangy tomato jam, and the olive mayonnaise, the Pattie would be fairly tasteless. The combination of flavours felt a little strange and I probably wouldn't try it again. But then again, I really hate olives so I might be biased.

My Big Phat Greek Burger ($16)
The Weekly Special (not on menu)

Next, we had the Chipotle Skirt Steak Tacos ($7) with scorched onions, aioli, and salsa picante roja. With the intense spicy flavours, I couldn't taste anything else. But I liked the rich creamy aioli which balanced it out.

Chipotle Skirt Steak Tacos ($7)
The steak was tough and slightly overcooked.

The hot fiery flavours were quite spicy so I had to wash it down with a Salted Caramel Milkshake ($8). Rich and creamy, with a slightly burnt caramel aftertaste - intensified by the delightfully salty flavours.

Heavenly Salted Caramel Milkshake ($8) served in a massive cup

Verdict:
Not enough "chur" for Chur Burger - but I probably chose the wrong burgers.




Chur Burger on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

>