Monday 9 March 2015

KU-O Japanese Restaurant - Market Square | Sunnybank

KU-O used to be my favourite hangout spot, so when they closed down for renovations, I was super depressed. After waiting for what seemed like an eternity, I was super hyped when they re-opened again.


To be honest, it didn't really look that much different inside except with the addition of a few more tables. It still looked as Japanese as what it was with its cool wooden tables, funky Japanese artwork, and colourful umbrellas on the ceiling.

 
What struck me the most was the increase in prices of the food. Prices seem to have increased by at least 25% - but I don't mind paying more for quality food. For a Japanese restaurant, the prices were still acceptable and there are a few cheap eats such as various rice bowls which range from $10.9 (teriyaki, chicken, karaage) to 18.9 (sashimi kaisen don).

Like before, the menu had a large selection of Japanese dishes which include set meals, donburi (rice bowls), sashimi, yakitori (grilled skewers), and teppanyaki (grilled meat on hot sizzling pan).

Being an avid sashimi lover, I ordered the Sashimi Platter - 16 pieces of salmon, tuna, kingfish, squid, scallops with roe ($29.9). The sashimi was a little too petite and wasn't the freshest I've tried - but it was still decent, I guess. It was beautifully presented, but for $29.9, I really expected more.
 
Sashimi Platter ($29.9)

We then ordered a hot platter to balance it out. The Mixed Yakitori Platter ($24.9) came with 9 skewers, but 4 of them were grilled zucchinis. Overall the skewers weren't grilled properly so it lacked the delicious charred flavours. The meats weren't coated with enough layers of teriyaki sauce so it tasted quite bland in general. The grilled salmon was overcooked which made it quite dry and chewy. Let's just say I wasn't too impressed and would probably not order it again.

Yakitori Platter ($24.9)

I used to love the drinks here but didn't want to be disappointed so I didn't order it this time round.

Verdict
Hopefully it was just an off-day and it would be better next time - but I'm not sure if I want to visit again any time soon though.

KU-O Japanese Restaurant on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Definitely recommend this amazing place. We ordered take out for the first time and I am so glad we did!
    The food was amazing and delicious. The portions are great and decently priced! Definitely making it my fave spot! Good wishes for them from https://www.chandlersboise.com/

    ReplyDelete

>