Tuesday 31 March 2015

Beach Burrito - 100 Boundary Street, Westend QLD 4101

Since the Beach is so far away, I visited the next best alternative - Beach Burrito. Yes, there's no beach, but at least there's burritos. AND Funky Beach Umbrellas.


Beach Burrito offers a variety of Mexican food, including nachos, burritos, quesadilla's, tacos, and salads (seriously - you want salad in a Mexican place :S ??!!). Prices range from $10 to $20 - check out the menu here: http://www.beachburritocompany.com/menu/

Famous for their edible burrito bowls, my Fellow Food Extinguishers and I were keen to try it out. To our delight, we discovered that Beach Burrito offers daily specials:
  • Monday - All Meals $15
  • Tuesday - All Tacos $3
  • Wednesday - Mystery Special (Geez, just tell us what the special is -_-")
  • Thursday - 2 Tacos and a Beer for $10
  • Friday - Burrito and Beer for $20
  • Saturday - Buy any Beer Pay Full Price (Um...isn't this special available every day?)
  • Sunday - Ask their friendly staff for Sunday's special (......speechless)

Luckily, it was a Monday so I got a Chipotle Chicken Burrito Bowl (normally $16.95) for only $15! Chargrilled chipotle chicken, Mexican rice, frijoles especial (black beans), blended cheese, smokey salsa, pico de gallo (salsa), creamy guacamole and sour cream served in a delightfully crispy flour tortilla bowl. The chicken was perfectly chargrilled which gave it a delicious smoky flavour but it was a tad dry. It also felt a little bland on its own but the subtle flavours went well with the sour cream and creamy guacamole. On the other hand, the crunchy burrito bowl was amazing - it was thin, it was crispy and it was insanely addictive.

Chipotle Chicken Burrito (Normally $16.95)

Because I missed the Beach and the Burritos so much, I went back again the next day on Tuesday to get Tacos. Or probably because it was Cheap Taco Tuesdays and I am so broke from all this eating I've been doing. My boss actually asked me last week if I have any savings or if I've eaten it all away, but that's a story for another day :P.

Luckily, the Tacos only cost me $9 ($3 each). I chose the Halloumi, Lime Chilli Garlic Prawn, and Chipotle Chicken (normally $5 each). This is the first time I've had tacos in soft shells (as I generally prefer the crunchy ones), but I quite liked it as it was very fresh and soft, yet firm enough so that it doesn't go soggy as quickly.

From Left to Right: Halloumi, Lime Chilli Garlic Prawn, Chipotle Chicken

The Halloumi was quite rubbery as it was not grilled properly and I couldn't taste or see the mango salsa it was supposed to come with (properly because it's not Mango season anymore). Made with fresh juicy tomatoes, onion, and lime juice, the tomato salsa was delicious though :) - I also liked the addition of the sweet corn (although it probably wasn't fresh off the cob).

Suprisingly, the Prawn lacked prawns (what the...). It only had two measly prawns hidden under generous servings of Mexican rice (in other words, lots of rice with no prawns). It was also quite tasteless but I appreciated the chilli salt which spiced things up a little bit.

I quite liked the Chipotle Chicken - it tasted exactly the same as the Chicken Burrito Bowl. The only downside was that the chicken was equally dry.

Feeling a lot less impressed with the tacos, I decided to wash down my sorrows with a bottle of Sangria, which was $25 for 1 Litre, or you can also get Churros for Two for an extra $5(normally $14.95 on its own). No prizes for guessing which one I chose :P.

The Sangria was a delicious blend of red wine and fruits, served with real diced fruits. I especially liked it how our cups were rimmed with yummy brown sugar - I basically spent all night licking my cup mmm :).

1 Litre of Sangria can make you very dizzy and lightheaded.

The accompanying Churros was perfectly crunchy, but it was slightly dough-y so it felt like I was eating a doughnut.

Sorry for the bad lighting -
my friend wanted to sit in the courtyard which was very dark.

Verdict:
Not bad, but make sure you choose the right fillings. Stick with the traditional Mexican flavours. The burrito bowls and the rimmed sangria cups are pretty addictive.

Beach Burrito Company on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

>