Sunday 7 June 2015

Bacchus - Rydges Hotel | Cnr Grey and Glenelg Streets, South Brisbane QLD 4101

Getting into Bacchus was more painful than getting hit by a cactus. Apparently it was completely booked out on a State of Origin night. Seriously, why would you want to eat at a place with no TV when the game is on? Guess I can't really talk, because I chose Bacchus over the game :P. You see, it was my aunt's birthday and I promised to take her somewhere special, but I was slightly upset that we had to wait over 1.5 hours to get in. Anyway, more on that later.


Bacchus is the Greek god of wine, indulgence, and ritual madness. Inspired by this theme, Bacchus has somehow managed to create an elegant yet classy nightlife experience by integrating a pool in the bar area and furnishing the restaurant with varnished wood and splashes of gold.



Serving breakfast, lunch, dinner, high tea, and degustation's for vegetarians, vegans and dessert lovers - Bacchus is perfect for anyone, for any occasion. You can check out the menu here.

For an award winning restaurant, you would expect top-notch food - and that is exactly what I got.

Even the complimentary amuse bouche (basically a French word for freebie) was impressive. Served in a thermal insulated glass, the creamy potato soup with bacon, chives and rich truffle oil flavours was steaming hot when it arrived - which was a perfect accompaniment to a delicious dinner on a cold winter night!

Potato Soup with bacon, chives, and truffle oil

Next came a platter with fresh bread (also complimentary), olive tapenade and whipped butter. Slightly toasted soft, fluffy bread and light creamy whipped butter really go well together.

Fresh Bread with olive tapenade and creamy whipped butter

The Pigeon ($58) was extremely exquisite - slightly gamey, yet somehow melted away in your mouth. The flavours were superb - with the celeriac, chestnut mushrooms and rich buttery foie gras being a perfect match for the squab. Although the squab soaked up the sticky madeira & muscatelle sauce beautifully, the skin was miraculously light and crispy.

Pigeon ($58)

The Veal ($48) was equally impressive - the cutlet was cooked to perfection - it was beautifully pink and incredibly tender and succulent. The plate was well balanced with creamy mousseline potato and a sweet red wine jus - simply divine.

Veal ($48)

While the food was excellent, I was slightly disappointed by the loooooooong period of time I had to wait to get in.

Upon arrival, I was advised by the manager that it was fully booked out (even though it was a Wednesday, State of Origin night and there were empty tables) and that I should come back in 45 minutes. I gave her my phone number and asked her to call me when tables became available. I went back into the restaurant after 45 minutes - only to be told by the manager to wait another 20 minutes (despite there being empty tables). I waited another 20 minutes and went back in - only to be told by the manager again to wait another 15 - 20 minutes. I waited another 30 minutes, frustrated, to find over half the restaurant empty and the manager packing up the bar, with no intention to call me. The waiters had to consult the manager before we were allowed in. I am really not sure why :S - pretty sure we don't smell *double checks just in case - it's winter after all :P*.

Once we got in, the waiters were professional and friendly and seemed quite knowledgeable about the dishes.

The Bill was placed in a pretty cool cigar box.


Verdict
Make sure you book before hand - although the food was superb, I'm not sure if it was worth the 1.5 hour wait. Of course, there would be many who would disagree with me, because the dishes were actually really really delicious - and I could have left, but I didn't - sigh, the things I would do for good food.



 
Click to add a blog post for Bacchus on Zomato

3 comments:

  1. Your blog is very informative and gracefullyyour guideline is very good and yammy and testy your food.Thank you.
    restaurant in satya niketan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to make a quick comment to say GREAT blog!….. I’ll be checking in on a regularly now….Keep up the good work restaurant in rajendra nagar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Find the best essays on is my friend's profile page. Please search desksta to discover nice photos and videos on instagram.

    ReplyDelete

>